This smoothie contains a significant amount of protein, healthy fats, fibre, as well as vitamins and minerals. It's truly a complete breakfast and a great way to start your day. See you later cheerios...
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup frozen organic mixed berries
- 1 small avocado (or ½ a large one) - the key ingredient to thick, satisfying smoothies!
- 2 Tbsp. hemp hearts
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- Handful of greens (spinach, kale or other), about ½ cup loosely packed
- Splash of a milk alternative like almond, coconut, or cashew milk (optional!)
- Approximately 1 cup filtered water
- ½ scoop of high quality protein powder (such as whey isolate or harmonized vegan)
Blend all ingredients on high using your best blender for 30-60 seconds and enjoy immediately!
Tips and Tricks
- Use more or less water to get your desired consistency
- If you tolerate dairy well, you can also add 1/4 cup of plain, unsweetened full fat yogurt or greek yogurt for added protein
- For sweetness, choose small amounts of tropical fruits like pineapple, banana, or mango
- Defrost berries for easier blending
- Pack in a glass mason jar or other container for a quick to-go option
I've also included the approximate nutrition information below.
Hope you enjoy!
Dr. Katie Rothwell, ND
Nutritional information For Katie's Berry Best Breakfast Smoothie
Fiber – 15g
Protein – 18g
Fat – 10g
Carbs (not including fiber) - 12g
RDA: 60% Vit C, 24% Calcium, 40% Iron, 30% Vitamin A